Workdays are a great way to meet other gardeners and have fun while completing your required labor hours. Need volunteer hours but can't attend a planned workday? The Weekly Weeder is a good source of information about what is needed. In addition, here are some ideas to meet your required hours and help keep the garden neat and maintained (updated 4/21/2012):
Note: The area surrounding your garden is called the common area. You are responsible for maintaining the area abutting your plot. The remainder of the common area should be maintained by the gardeners in that area jointly. Time spent maintaining your common area does not "count" towards the required service hours.
Tasks for service hours:
- Mow the grass outside the fence, around the trailer office, and around the compost piles if grass needs mowing. Please pay attention - a lawn mower recently was destroyed by mowing over a water spigot. If you want to be part of the official mowing team, please contact Ila Falvey.
- Weed inside the Greenhouse and Hoophouse and along the foundation.
- Weed along the fence - both sides (DO NOT CUT THE VINE OFF THE FENCE, BIRDS EAT THE RED BERRIES THAT GROW ON THEM). Cut back the trees growing through the fence and dig up the weeds.
- The shade garden needs weeding. Contact email@example.com if you are interested.
- Pick up trash in compost area.
- Remember to record your service hours in the Green Binder in the Tool Shed or online in the Virtual Green Binder.
MORE GARDEN TASKS TO DO FOR SERVICE HOURS
- or to do just because they need to be done
- Guides for visiting groups
- Cleaning the trailer
- Getting supplies for trailer
- Toolshed cleaning and organizing
- Compost clean up, removing food tags and produce boxes
- Office tasks, filing, organizing, cleaning
- Tool sharpening and marking
TSBVI Labor Requirements
Check with Mike Meyer of the TSBVI committee to sign up for your required hour of service. TSBVI tasks and workdays will be posted in the Weekly Weeder. Remember to e-mail Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to log your TSBVI hour.